Thursday, September 08, 2011

I got cat class and I got cat style...

My last post on vintage fashion featured some lovely styles from the early 1900s, and while I love things about nearly every fashion 'era', the 1950s are hands-down my absolute favorite.
Everything from tame "I Love Lucy" apparel to the wilder rockabilly scene...so fun!
So here's some retro-randomness to lift the mid-week blahs!

My greatest grief at the moment? My hair will never, ever cooperate and look like this...


Don't you just love her victory rolls (aka reverse curls)??
Glamorous!!

Here's a YouTube tutorial on the basic method for victory rolls...
(scroll down and pause my playlist before trying to listen to this tutorial)



She makes it look so easy, no? Sad thing is... my hair is so fine...ONE of her curls is like ALL my hair!! There's got to be a hairspray out there made just for me, right? *sigh*

***

Oooh, and these dresses...
I have seriously considered purging my wardrobe and buying all retro-inspired clothing....
These are from Etsy (click on the picture to view the store):


***


***


My wedding dress was intended for December, and when we moved the date to June, I had to work around my already-purchased dress.
If I could do my wedding again, this dress would be a top contender. Perfect for summer. :)

***

Something from the 1950s I was NOT pleased to discover: My vintage dress size?? Size 18.
Seriously. I don't like the way that sounds.
So, fyi, all you size zeros, ones and twos in the world.... you didn't exist 60 years ago. ;)

***

One of the bloggers I follow over at Happily Ever After has an entire post on the Rockabilly fashion subculture. A must read! Go here.

And lastly, for your perusing, a couple of newly-discovered clothing websites that I adore:
Pinup Girl Clothing (some content is PG13+)
Mod Cloth (modern twists on vintage styles)

***
Do comment and tell me what you think of retro fashion! What is your favorite element -- dresses, hair, makeup?? How about another fashion 'era'??

***

TTFN, readers! Hold on and look up -- tomorrow is FRIDAY!


1 comments:

Hosanna said...

Awww. Thanks for mentioning me! I do love the 50s - 60s. But mostly the 40s. :) Earlier this summer I was trying to perfect Victory Rolls; but it is seriously hard! The key is, setting your hair just so. Since you have fine hair, you may need to tease it a bit. I find the videos on you tube very helpful.